11 Apr The Eight Best Family Activities to do at Falls Creek
Winter is coming, and while this can mean doom and gloom, for Falls Creek this means snow and fun for families. Falls Creek in the Victorian Alps is one of Australia’s most family-friendly snow locations, offering a range of activities for ages as from little tots to grandpa offering to experience the white outdoors together to suit a variety of budgets. With so much going on, how can you choose the best activities?
Below our top eight suggestions for an unforgettable family holiday.
- TobogganingThe idea is simple: take a plastic contraption that looks like a large takeaway tray, head to a toboggan slope (which has free access), sit down, use your feet to push and off you go. Guaranteed fun! Falls Creek has different toboggan slopes from the steep to flat, meaning tots to teens can find a suitable level of thrill. Toboggans are also a very cheap alternative as less hire gear is required, you can hire these from Falls Creek Cross Country Centre for as little as $15 per day.
- Snow TubingFor those looking for a little more bounce, or spin with their snow ride, snow tubing is for you. For ages 5 and up, this exciting snow activity provides fun and laughter from 11am to 6pm at the Snow Tube Park.
- Cross-country skiing Cross-country skiing is a great option for families who are newbies to the snow. Rather than tackling steep, windy turns and tricks and navigating ski lifts, start with learning how to cross country ski, a safer and easier experience with no shortage on fun. No lift pass is required, which means it’s cheaper too! Falls Creek Cross Country Centre offers significant discounts on hire gear and lessons for groups, find out more here.
- Falls Creek Street Party and Thursday night fireworksWhat better way to celebrate the magical snow-fields than with an outdoor fire, games and marshmallows in the heart of Falls Creek? Every Tuesday families are invited to the Falls Creek Street Party with heaps of activities to keep everyone entertained. On Thursdays during snow season, the high country lights up with fireworks and a special show.
- Build a snowman Is there anything more iconic to winter than the snowman? It doesn’t matter your age, building a snowman together will bring the childish spirit to all involved. The stunning Victorian Alps will provide the snow but you will need to BYO carrot and snowman hat and singalong Frozen tunes.
- Snow BocceThe French game has been significantly upgraded with snow. Perfect for a quieter and relaxing afternoon with the family this equipment is free and available on courts in the Village Bowl. If your family takes their “snooce” very seriously, frequent competitions are available to enter.
- Board games around a fireplaceIs there anything quite like getting warm, dry and cosy after a day of adventure in the snow? Add a lounge-room and a couple of board games and it’s the ideal setting for family time. Time away from busy schedules and switching off from technology – perfect! Howmans Gap Alpine Centre is set up for quality family time with spacious and comfortable lounge-room with open fireplace with many board games.
- Snowshoeing Strap on your snowshoes and explore the breath-taking mountainous terrain along a special snowshoe trail. Snowshoeing is an ideal for families wanting to get out and about but want to get away from the busy tourist hub and go at your own pace. There are a range of snowshoeing trails blanketed in white snow at Windy Corner, with Falls Creek Cross Country conveniently located at the same spot with ample parking onsite. Simply hire your affordable snowshoes here and get exploring!
That’s the fun sorted!
Now where should you stay? Accommodation at Howmans Gap Alpine Centre, 10 minutes from Falls Creek snowfields, start from $45 per person, per night. Find out more about our last minute winter family holiday packages here.